Friday, September 24, 2010

Pan Fried Pesce del Giorno (fish of the day) April 2010

Spring has finally arrived in New England bringing with it a wide variety of outdoor activities. As a child my favorite was fishing; fishing in saltwater, fishing in streams, fishing in ponds, fishing in rivers, fishing in bogs and the occasional casting practice in the family pool…..no difference as long as I was fishing. Now I fish with my son and we practice catch and release, but as a child I would hurry home with my catch of the day proud to supply the family dinner that evening.

Our house was always alive with family and friends and many evenings I would come home to find Nanna & Grampi diCicco over for a visit and to share our evening meal. Nanna was always busy in the kitchen, while Grampi sat at the table drinking wine from a coffee cup; this is still referred to as “red coffee” in the diCicco family.
Nanna was a tiny lady with blue hair, as a child I thought this was her natural color, only later in life did I discover it was a special rinse and the fashion of the day among little grey haired ladies. Nanna’s blue hair and warm smiles are wonderful childhood memories, but it was her ability to turn the simplest ingredients into a delicious meal that I remember most.

Pickerel was often the catch of the day but sometimes it was trout and on those days Nanna diCicco’s smile was even broader. Fresh trout is a staple of Northern Italian and Abruzzi style cooking, as well as a wonderful reminder of the old country for Nanna and Grampi. Grampi loved it so much he ate it from tip to tail, leaving nothing behind but the barest of bones.

The recipe I would like to share with you is the simple easy preparation my Nanna taught me and one I still use today. I have used this recipe with a variety of fish ranging from sunfish to pickerel to flounder to stripped bass. Caught fresh or bought fresh from the local market, this recipe has never let me down. Serve this fish with fresh greens, sautéed vegetables and/or herb roasted potatoes.

Pan Fried Pesce del Giorno (fish of the day)

Fresh Fish Fillets
Unbleached All Purpose Flour
Salt and Pepper
Granulated Garlic
Olive Oil
Nanna never measured and neither should you with this simple recipe.

Pat fillets dry with paper towel
Season fillets with salt, pepper and a pinch of granulated garlic
Dredge in flour

Heat sauté pan over medium to medium high heat
Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan
Place fillets in pan, skin side up
Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the fillet
Flip the fillet when the edges start to brown
Brown skin side until fillet is cooked throughout
Plate with lemon wedges

Mangia!
At Lucia’s we often pair this dish with Orvieto, a classic Italian white wine, but feel free to enjoy it with Grampi’s favorite “red coffee”.

No comments:

Post a Comment